Return to Goblin Market


 A few years ago I recorded Christina Rossetti's 1862 "Goblin Market" poem from an anthology I have. Yesterday a graduate gave me a beautifully illustrated copy of the poem from a 1977 edition of the work, and so felt like recording another version of it. The illustrations, shown in the recording, are by the famed Arthur Rackham - to make it easier to see some of them in full technicolour, I have posted some images into this blog post. 

My earlier recording of the poem is actually the most popular post (in terms of viewings) that has gone up on this blog - nobody ever leaves a comment, so I am not sure if there is a big Rossetti fan club out there or if it is people who just really like goblins (or maybe they are goblins who like hearing about themselves). Whatever the case, I hope you enjoy this hauntingly beautiful poem and learn from to be careful of what overly ripe temptations you succumb to in life!

 

   






Comments

  1. I'm so glad you liked it - wonderful reading of a fabulous poem, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the reading. Hope life is treating you well - maybe an exciting job offer or two?

      Delete
  2. I waited ages for the right job to to materialise, then was offered two within days of each other! I've just left my job in social care & am about to embark on a new career working with recovering addicts & their families, which I am very excited about ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent news, congratulations! Hope the money is better than the previous job as well as being a whole new area to get to grips with. I now teach a whole module on drug abuse for the new Sociology degree. I think there is an increasing demand for people with knowledge of the issue to go into working or volunteering with people struggling with drugs, booze etc. Appropriately, Goblin Market is partly about addiction (of a sort) and yearning for the dodgy fruit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Paganism

The Children of Green Knowe #10