The Snow Queen

This is my much-shortened adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's story 'The Snow Queen', which I've recorded to celebrate the winter solstice (I appreciate that such a morally upstanding Christian story is an odd way of marking a pagan celebration, but there's no point expecting me to make sense).

I particularly like Andersen's idea of the warping mirror, and I might shamelessly steal the idea and use it in other ways at a later date. There's a lot to be said for the idea of a poisonous presence working its way into the hearts of people and distorting their view of the world (bit like social media, really). Is it a warning against self-absorption or against the dangers of self-hatred? The Snow Queen herself also needs an opportunity to chew the scenery far more than she gets to do in either my version of the story or the original one. She certainly enjoyed her incarnation as Jadis in Lewis' books about Narnia.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Paganism

The Children of Green Knowe #10